Sunday, May 15, 2011

"So I heard you're a mother now"

Growing up my brother played little league, and I played softball. There were tons of girls who played on my side of town. So many, that my small side of town had 4 teams. We got to know so many girls, and their parents too.

Today, I saw one of those parents at the book store. Someone I haven't seen since I was 16 years old. Her daughter and I used to be facebook friends, until I purged over 100 of them because I never really "talked" with them on there.

As we are BSing and catching up on how each other is doing, she says, "So, I heard you're a mother now! Congrats!" Knife... stab...

I kindly stated back to her, "Yes I am. Thank you. I have a wonderful step-son, and our daughter is in heaven. She was born still, we lost her last year."

I still hate how people do not know what to say after that. It's kind of a conversation killer. She said her sorries, and it was nice catching up with you.... and we went on our ways.

Just when you thought everyone knew... there's always that someone who didn't. *sigh*

1 comment:

  1. You handled it beautifully. A lot better than I could ever have. xo

    ReplyDelete